We are a family ranch with a relatively long history in the Central Montana area, as some of the first pioneers settling in Gauglersville (currently Martinsdale) in 1860. Charles’s parents, Bill and Faith Gaugler, purchased the ranch at Garneill in 1946 and ran a band of 2000 sheep. Charles acquired his first Black Angus heifer at the Harlowton Fair in 1960. He quickly came to appreciate the strong maternal and growth traits that Angus cattle had to offer. He began selling Angus bulls soon after. These cattle were a good fit for the Judith Gap environment, being able to withstand tough winters and short grass country. Many Hereford breeders in the area purchased their first Black Angus cattle from Charles. Since the 1970’s, Charles and Pauline have sold many private treaty bulls and cows at a reasonable price. In 2004, Charles and Pauline’s son Mark had the opportunity to return home and continue breeding Black Angus cattle. Currently, Mark and his wife, Laurie, manage the ranch.
A rigorous culling program maintains cows with good teats and udder, feet and legs, disposition, maternal, and longevity. Cattle are retained in the herd that are structurally correct with moderate size and fleshability, selected for performance and eye-appeal. First-calf heifers start calving mid-March. The heifers are AI’ed and then cleaned-up with proven low birthweight bulls for 30 days. The registered and commercial cows start calving in April for 45-50 days. Cows are not kept if they do not bring in a calf every year. Steer calves gain an average of three pounds per day on the cow and grass.